Use these strategies to get your business off the ground with the right team.
A small business is nothing without a solid team to support it. As an entrepreneur, you’ll be leading the company in terms of overall direction, goals, and management, but it’s the individuals working under you who are going to carry out the day-to-day responsibilities. Finding the right individuals for the right positions can be tough work, especially when you’re first starting out, with a limited budget, but if you want to succeed, you’ll have to find a way to make it work.
When hiring people for your initial team, make sure you follow these critical strategies:
1. Hire for Talent, Not Experience. It’s tempting to look at someone’s work history to get a feel for what they’re capable of, but it’s more important to get a feel for their talents and skill sets. Experience usually comes with a price tag, and doesn’t always indicate ability.
2. Don’t Forget the Culture. You’re going to be doing more than hiring great individuals. You’re going to be establishing the foundation of your company culture. Look for personalities who will create a positive, healthy environment that fits your vision for your company’s future.
3. Find Adaptive Candidates. Finding specialists might seem like the best strategy, since they’ll be able to cover their department flawlessly. But for startups, it’s better to find adaptive candidates, who aren’t afraid to step outside their traditional roles. Startups take unpredictable courses, and need responsive teammates.
4. Recruit Socially. Look for candidates using social media platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter. It’s a gateway to find great information about who your candidates are, and it opens your network up to new possibilities. Plus, it’s free!
5. Complement Your Employees. If you already have a few candidates on board, start looking for people who complement them. Know your team’s strengths and weaknesses, and find new candidates who make up for those weaknesses.
Building a great team takes time, and even after you’re done hiring, you’ll have to spend extra time to keep your team dynamics alive and healthy.
Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.
Jose graduated from Goldman Sachs’ 10,000 Small Businesses program. Goldman Sachs is a partner of the What Is Working: Small Businesses section.